I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…
I have decided that I’m going to make these mismatched seams ‘official’. You’ll recall an earlier gripe about how the 2½ inch strips you get in many jelly rolls are not accurately cut. This is what happens if you don’t laboriously line up, check and trim out every single strip. There are over 80 x 42 inch strips in the quilt top so far, with more to come. Life is just too short. So for the purpose of this quilt, all junctions that are not a lilac pinwheel have official consent to be, um, freestyle. The pinwheels match. The important stuff matches.
Some of you hawk-eyes out there would have noticed if I hadn’t mentioned it. I hope the majority would have overlooked it or forgiven it for the sake of the general effect.
Here’s the fabric I’ve decided to use for the outer border. I took snippets of all the fabrics used in the 16 patch blocks to the fabric shop, and laid them on a variety of colours and patterns. This is the one that lets all the others sing happily whilst not being dull itself. I’ll be combining it with more 16 patch block corner- and centre-posts to form the outer border.
Two more seams and the main quilt top is assembled. Eight more 16 patch blocks, eight plain strips, and the border’s ready to be added. But tonight, I’m hemming the binding on the matching cushion, which is otherwise finished.
I’ll show you that another time.