The piecing’s going well, if slowly.
Having just got on with it and cut squares, I’ve found that laying them out and quietly enjoying the process has become much easier. I still have ST&D up on the design wall, so laying this quilt out square by square isn’t going to be possible anyway. Having accepted that, I do now have a process, and I started with the central 4 blocks.
These contain both the darkest of the blue, green and purple colours, and the lightest of the ambers and reds. Knowing that, it was easy enough to cut a generous handful of each of the darkest cool colours and a half dozen of the lightest warm ones.
And then I just started with the top line and worked my way down, avoiding putting like next to like as much as possible, but not being overly fussy about it.
The 4 blocks are done and joined, and now I’ve also finished the row above and the row below, where the colours start to change a little, with the cool colours less intense and the warm colours less pale.
Mine’s a little wonky; over time, the ‘blade’ edge on the right that you butt the seam allowance up to has spread outwards a little, making it a quarter-inch plus a couple of threads wide, but so long as all the seams are consistently a couple of threads wider, it all works. No major mis-matches so far, so fingers crossed I can keep that going across the whole quilt 🙂
I’ll just keep plugging along. Cut a bit, lay out a bit, stitch a bit. It’s strangely peaceful… 🙂