I’m saying farewell to the sewing machine for the remainder of 2019.
After a protracted period of enforced abstinence, I wanted to finish off this nice orange top. Over the last few days, my eye has got back to normal working order, so I wanted to get the job done before the festivities began. (Apart from the soluble stitches, I no longer look like a movie extra [either Pirates of the Caribbean or some police drama], so no longer feel obliged to inflict pirate jokes on you.) Sadly, the Husband is on night shift and I have no-one to take photos of me wearing it, so Rosita has had to stand in, and very fetching she looks too.
The pattern isn’t one I want to repeat; it was a bit more complicated than I felt it needed to be to achieve the final result, but having said that, it does look pretty and feel comfortable; those big sleeves are especially cool in hot weather. The back looks much the same as the front, but the neckline is higher and there’s no opening slit.
Most of the garments I’ve made recently have been quick, easy and fun, but this one, not so much. Here’s why:
McCall’s M7325. I made view D but with shorter sleeves, ending at bracelet length instead of wrist length. The yoke is fully faced, but then, weirdly, they don’t enclose the inside edges of it neatly with the facing, so that apart from the neck and opening, you have to overlock all the other seams. There was a great deal of gathering to be done, and if I’d made View B I’d have lost the will to live long before adding the hem and sleeve ruffles. I didn’t think there was enough fulness in the sleeve head to warrant the length of the gathered area; I would have placed the pattern markings closer together. I also found the way the top was constructed and the sleeves/yoke were added to the bottom half was strange; the same result could have been achieved more easily without Y seams under the arms. The sizing was also a little on the small side for the dress sizes suggested; I had to make my seam allowances smaller here and there. I would not have called this pattern Very Easy, but Intermediate, and I am a competent dressmaker. The steps are few, but some of the processes are unduly complicated. Having said all that, I’ll happily wear the top.
The outer yoke is made from the same Kaffe Fassett Artisan Floral Border for Westminster Fibers as the last top I made, but this time in the orange colourway. The rest of the top is made in a pretty coral batik with a small white spiral dot.
Over the Christmas – New Year period, I hope to spend some time developing the big project I’ve mentioned before. It needs a lot of drawing, erasing, re-drawing, transferring, measuring and standing back and squinting, so it’s a perfect Christmas distraction. If I’m doing all that, I won’t be fridge-diving for mince pies, sausages, chocolate, cake, cold ham and all those other enticing snacky delights. I hope to emerge out the other side actually lighter, instead of heavier. The doctor has told me to lose weight due to some alarming blood test results, and I propose to give it my best shot, despite the season.
Happy Christmas or other festive celebration of your choice. It’s been fun having you along for the doings in Chiconia, and I’ll see you all next decade!