Oh……rats!

I do hate wasting time and effort.

Quilters will look at this photo and quickly understand what I’m talking about. Yup, I’d pin basted the whole thing before I noticed*.

I spent a solid 15 minutes trying to think of ways to avoid unpinning it all and doing it all over again. I couldn’t think of a satisfactory solution, especially as this my Secret Sewing, a bonus quilt which will be donated to Ovarian Cancer Australia once it’s done and the finalised pattern has been revealed by Teresa at Sewn Up. I’m just not OK about a very obvious fix-up on the back. So I unpinned the whole thing, gnashing my teeth as I went, and rearranged things and pinned it all. Again.

It’s OK this time, I’ve checked. Three times, to be exact.

Still, it’s down off the design wall, it’s ready to quilt, and that means I’ve been able to put up and arrange all the TWX blocks I have so far. Three still needed, two on their way from Margaret at The Crafty Creek. Once I have those, I’ll make the final one, and then I can start sandwiching and quilting the blocks.

And once that’s done, I’ll be able to spend some quality time on Miz Lizzie and her interior décor 🙂

*For the non-quilters, I’d laid out the backing of the quilt back to front, so the seams were on the outside… duh. In mitigation of my folly, this is the first time I’ve ever done it in over 10 years of quilting.

Advertisements

The Cloths of Heaven 10: leaf and branch

I am going slowly bonkers.

It’s the leaves, or rather, the stitching carefully around every bloody 64 of them. The first sheet is done, stitched and cut out. The second and larger sheet of leaves is in progress. Sort of.

Leaves and tendrils notesI had to stop and do something else as it was getting to the point where I wanted to hurl it across the room every time a pin snagged my bare arm. Again. So I moved to applying the 1/4″ bias strip for the ivy stems, only to discover that it wouldn’t go round the tightest of the curves, the tendrils at the ends. Three hours and many tested options later I have the answer. Apply the strip wherever possible. Migrate from strip heat-sealed to the fabric and stitched down with zigzag to plain zig zag just a little narrower than the stripe, done really, really s l o w l y to maintain a smooth curve.

Anyway, after that, I was ready for a little light relief. Normally, pinning a quilt sandwich would not fall into this category, but the panel is only 44″ square and even though I’m pinning closely, it was done quickly and pleasantly, with minimal cursing and bloodletting.

Pinned sandwich with corner testivy corner detailI tried out how the leaves would look. I like it! I have everything ready to start hand quilting the central panel, but I’m going to force myself to finish the leaves first, so I don’t have to dread coming back to it later.

The clouds will be quilted with grey variegated thread, the sky and mountains with dark blue. I shall use silver thread in a spiral on the moon, and around the outer edge of the clouds and the top edge of the mountains – just a single thin line to suggest the edges are moonlit. I want a tiny bit more sparkle for the stars, so I’ll either embroider a star within each shape, or I’ll apply a single tiny sequin or glass bead in the centre of each.

Thank you all for your help with the dreaded ear worm; I have classical music in the background now, which tends not to get too stuck in my head.

Time for a quick break and then back to the leaves.