I don’t mean the panic, I mean the flapping of the curtain.
I knuckled down yesterday and got the extra bits made. Three ties for the right side of the curtain, and a wide channel for the left. Then I mooched about some more, looking for excuses not to do the last bit, as you do. I even went to the lengths of doing some overdue mending, gasp… We’ve had two days of heavy rain, the temperature is much more reasonable (if very humid) for working, and finally, I could procrastinate no longer. This morning I got the job done.
I drilled and screwed in three eyebolts on the right-hand, outer side of the porch, and fixed the ties onto those. Then I got another batten and cut it so it was just a bit longer than the channel. I then drilled holes in it, top and bottom, and corresponding holes in the wall. I ran the batten through the channel on the side of the curtain and screwed it in place top and bottom. Job done. The curtain is nice and flat without being stretched, and it won’t now get sucked into the compressor inlet. I haven’t tried to completely seal off the section behind the curtain; without some airflow the curtain will twang like a drum, and the aircon needs some throughput.
When we get back from our holiday, I shall move a bunch of plants into the porch to make it a bit less spartan. For now, they can enjoy the natural rainfall, which is forecast in generous quantities! Meanwhile, I’m searching the internet to find those ceramic watering spikes which have a tube to run into a bucket of water for automatic watering while you’re away. I used to have a load of them but they got lost in our last move. eBay has them aplenty, but no-one wants to mail them to Australia 😦 The search continues. Also on my return, I must make another curtain for the screen door at the other end of the porch, a simple, flat panel. I have plenty of lime, grey, black & white scraps left, so it should be fairly straightforward.
And now, I have no more excuses. Back to Bonnard, and the hand quilting. 13 rows to go.