And so to bed…

I’m always short of sleep.

It’s an occupational hazard when you’re married to someone who works shifts. So I really value my time in bed, and insist on being comfortable. This includes not only the mattress and linens, the quilt, the patchwork pillowcases, etc, but also what I wear in bed. North Queensland is too hot for robes or dressing gowns, so some form of presentable nightwear is needed, whether it’s worn to sleep in or not.

On a recent fabric hunting and gathering foray I’ve previously mentioned ($75-worth of fabric for $15), I scored two pieces. which I thought would do for nightwear. Individually, at 1m and 1.5m respectively, they were too small, but combined, they worked. One was cotton poplin, a 1m piece and a separate .5m piece. The other was a printed satin, a 1m piece. The great thing was that although they were very different in style and design, the colours blended. I dug out some existing patterns and did some tweaking and cheating.

I stitched the two pieces of poplin together to make one larger piece, and used it to make a pyjama top. I shortened the original pattern and made it sleeveless. There’s a seam across the lower front, but it doesn’t bother me (pyjamas, OK…?). The pintucks give it a bit of interest and distract from the seam. I used bias binding on neck and armholes instead of self-binding to save fabric. It’s a pattern I know and love, having made it three times before, so I know it’s comfortable, and being cotton poplin, it will be cool and breathable.

For the bottom half, I’ve made shorts from the satin. I was able to squeeze them out of the fabric despite the fact that the pattern specified it needed another 30cm or so. I even managed pockets and ties. The only thing I had to ‘fudge’ was turning the small front waistband piece through 90 degrees, which I feel is hard to see once the front tie is done up. Satin for bed-shorts works quite well, as it doesn’t catch and bind on the sheets and ruck up uncomfortably.

Finally, another nice thing about this combination is that it doesn’t scream ‘nightwear’ if I have to answer the door in my pjs! Pity it’s taken me nearly a week of scattered, scatty work to complete. I hope to have my brain back in gear shortly. And in case you’re wondering why I’m not modelling them for you, I’m doing you a big favour there, OK?

Can’t wait to give them a test run…

Filling the gap

My friend Jen is rediscovering the gentle art of sewing.

She’s a busy London woman, with a stressful life, and to me, sewing seems like the ideal antidote to the nonsense she has to put up with in her daily life. For her last birthday she was delighted to receive from her thoughtful husband a sewing machine and lots of sewing accessories. Being Jen, she’s fully tooled up. Except for one thing.

She doesn’t have a pincushion. Oh.My.Lord. What a terrible omission!

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 4.12.51 pmSo naturally, I’ve had to make her one. And she’s a bit of a one for the moodier end of the colour spectrum, so I’ve made it easy to find amongst dark fabrics… I even had some co-ordinating flower head pins to start her off. I don’t think they make pins with tiny skulls, swallows, roses and tumbling dice on the ends, so these’ll have to do. Sorry about that, missus.

In case you’re interested, it’s made from two 10″ squares and one 5″ square, three buttons and a bit of polyester fibrefill. And thank you to Granny Maud’s Girl, for the original inspiration!

Time well spent, putting a smile on the dial of a friend.