I went at it flat out this afternoon.
I ended up piecing the back and I’m glad I did, it’s more fun than a boring piece of whole cloth. I stitched the batting together from scraps, sandwiched, pinned and quilted straight freehand lines, working like a machine.
It’s ready to bind. I like that bit, some quiet hand stitching, a label, and then into the washing machine. On Monday I can send it off.
Job done, on to the Aussie Hero quilt I’ve got to get ready for 25 August.
I’ll show the finish tomorrow.
Just squeaked in by the skin of my teeth!
This one has been a true scrappy quilt. The fabric’s all scraps. The time I was able to give it was all scraps of an hour here, half an hour there. It’s been the result of a virtual dumpster dive into my scrap storage, which wasted a lot of time when I had to put stuff away again. Because it wasn’t considered but thrown together with what I had, I’m not much in love with it, but I do feel it’s quite a fun, jolly quilt for a baby. I twiddled around endlessly with the layout of the blocks before deciding on this version as the best of a bad job. The colours are a little fresher than they look in this photo; I missed the last of the light and this was shot inside, which I don’t like doing as it messes with the colour.
Now I have to go and get some backing, because I’m pretty sure I won’t feel like piecing the back as well, and I don’t want to use yardage. But you never know. I have batting and enough fabric for a binding. Maybe I’ll go fully scrappy instead of cheating with a whole cloth back.
But at least at this rate she’ll have it before Baby Gnu Too arrives…