Since I’m no longer going to be project manager at a building site, I thought I’d get out my sewing machine again.
I need some distraction. We have an offer under consideration on another house, and the wait is a bit trying. So I thought I’d give myself an alternative form of frustration which I could actually do something about. Doing the quilt sandwich on Amistad fit the bill nicely. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before how much I love grovelling and pinning… not. While I’m waiting for the phone call, I may as well be making progress on something!
For the backing, I’ve gone for a nice wideback in a rich cream with a pale cream overprint in a floral design which echoes the designs on the front. I find I prefer a plain, unpieced back – my mistakes show up less, if it’s not absolutely straight it doesn’t matter, and the trim-offs are always useful. And if it’s a print, quilting errors don’t scream at you either. I like to get things right, but I prefer to get things done, so I’ve slowly become a bit more forgiving with myself if there are imperfections. I’m never going to enter competitions, so it doesn’t matter, putting a quilt in the local show isn’t exactly trying for Houston, and every quilt is a learning process.
I haven’t yet decided how I’m quilting this one. I think I may hand quilt it in big-stitch, and I’m considering a way of integrating names and a date to commemorate the friendship this quilt is named after. As always, it’ll be quite lightly quilted because I like drape versus the stiffness of much quilting, but perhaps this one will have a little more than usual. The top is very simple, and can carry off a bit of extra. I’m thinking of a big Baptist Fan or clamshell design…
…on two fronts.
The back of Happiness, nearly completed
I’m creeping closer to completing Happiness. Here’s progress so far on the back. You may recognise some of the fabrics as ones I used for backing on the Triple Trouble quilts. I had a fair bit of two and a small bit of one of the fabrics left, so I’ve just worked around what I had and added in things that seemed to go. I still need to add another 7″ border around what you see here to bring it up to size and give me enough spare to quilt with. I’m playing with the idea of using the turquoise fabric I have left over from the back of Tree of Life. But I’m not sure… I think the colour may be too strong. I shall have to go and rummage a bit further in the cupboard. The photo’s a bit dull; I should have used the flash. In reality, the colours are brighter and more cheerful, not so greyish.
And here’s what’s creeping closer on the cyclone front.
T.C. Gillian, heading our way.
She’s tending more and more southerly, so we may be in for it.
We are now within the destructive wind zone, so we’ll definitely have to batten down the hatches after the Dowager has gone home this evening. She’s coming round for dinner, and I have to go and make a carrot cake for dessert in a minute… If/when the cyclone arrives, she’s going to be called Gillian.
That long pod in the centre is the flower bud of my Brugmansia. If it survives, it’ll turn into a gorgeously-scented apricot trumpet
The first flower on the passionfruit that
has survived the grasshoppers.
Out in the garden, I’ve taken photos of a couple of things which may well not survive the night. I just wanted to prove that my passionfruit is really flowering, and that my Brugmansia is actually in bud – normally I wouldn’t expect either of them to flower till next spring.
Right, time to go and fill the water storage, take in all the loose stuff and then get cracking with the cake.