Well, she’s ours.
At present, VanEssa is sitting in Mitch’s yard, waiting for the right connectors to be fitted on our vehicle so we can tow her home. I managed a few brief measurements on handover day before I had to head out again, enough to establish that a) the bunks are both as long as the Husband’s current accommodations; and b) there is space under the table for His Majesty’s dog bed. Both important, I think you’ll agree. She’s going to need the following:
- New sheets for my bunk, unless I can cobble in a section to make the existing much shorter sheets fit. I think I may have enough sheeting left to do that…
- A new quilt for the Husband’s bunk. I’m going to nab Anemone for mine! Both current quilts will become multipurpose spares. Retired from active service, but still handsome and very useful.
- A rug/mat or two for the floor, some just for comfort, others to slurp up paw prints, sand, water, etc. Some of the existing ones will work, but more are needed because bigger caravan.
- A padded headboard/back rest for each bunk. Colourful scrappiness for these, definitely!
- A pair of curtains to pull across between the sleeping and living sections. These are not strictly necessary, but may be helpful if one of us wants to sleep while the other watches a movie, for example (and before you ask, headphones). I had a lot of fun looking at fabrics in Spotlight the other day, as I don’t think these are going to be scrappy. Life is too short, there are some really beautiful prints, and we have trips planned already… Lots of colourful gorgeousness there, so hard to pick just one!
I do think everything needs a
bit lot of colour. There isn’t any. Not anywhere. It’s all black and white, which is nice and fresh, but does not please my eye. It’s not alive, or friendly, or vivid.
We also need places to put things around our beds, so I’ll be looking for stick-on shelves, pockets, racks, hooks, etc.
And I’ve carried on making storage baskets for our clothes lockers. Four sizes now: s/m/l/xl. I’ll show those another time.
Tomorrow, Miz Lizzie makes her final journey with us. Sad, but it’s time.
Miz Lizzie has served you well. I know you will have fond memories of your adventures together. And Mouse will have fond memories of snacks and floofs and sniffs!
Very excited to see your new home away from home once you bring VanEssa to your abode. If you’re amenable, it would be fun to see a “before” and “after” tour — and maybe some progress shots.
Oh, definitely! Bit by bit, we will bring a smile to her beautiful but rather severe face.
You are the gal to add colour to our world! Vanessa will be the envy of every caravan she parks next to.
I think on the outside she’ll stay much the same. Inside will hopefully be a different story 😊
Looking at all that fabric would make me want to make something brand new also. It’s so exciting to outfit a new home even if it’s a mobile home. Enjoy.
It’s exciting too because she’s such a clean slate. No existing colours to work with, so I can do what I want (within reason and the Husband’s ability to tolerate bright colours!).
🙂 You always know how to make me laugh. You have a great husband.
How very exciting for you. In no time at all VanEssa will be kitted out in your inimitable style. Meanwhile I’ll stick to maximalist home and minimalist van.
I’ll go for what my Dutch half would call ‘gezellig’: homey and cosy
As you do so well ♡
oh, I think you are having all together too-oo much fun. I’m envious!
Is such a thing possible? All I know is, she’s drastically under-dressed right now, and I have to fix that…
She has done her bit for the family & is time to give to others as she gave to you. ❣️
It’s time for the new girl to start her journey with you’ll and how much nicer for fresh pieces to splash colour on to. You have been given a lovely pristine blank canvas to work your magic… nothing to rip out and add new to make it yours…. It’s all there ready for your creativeness to bring it to life 😍
Very true. A blank canvas to write upon in colour…
Definitely waiting for progress reports on her as you go along 🥰
Don’t worry! I’ll be showing them!
Exciting times ahead.
Fabric to buy, quilts to make, curtains to sew!
Sounds like a good excuse to shop for fabric!
Oh, absolutely! I do need to get in there with a tape measure and a serious notebook!
That is quite a list Kate. You are going to have a blast kitting her out!
I’m itching to get on with it, but it’ll have to wait till we get her home.
On your marks…..
Slight ground pawing going on here…
I’m with you on the need for color. You’re going to have much fun sprucing up your new caravan and getting it cozy as well. You’ve thought of everything, Kate.
I think a new rug is going to be a priority, so that Mouse can lounge around comfortably. Or at least, that’s the Husband’s opinion!
Mouse comes first! Sounds about right. I know you’ll get on that rug, STAT.
He has just been gifted a thick furry dark and light grey ombre rug, just for him. But I imagine he’ll (obviously) prefer whatever colourful item I also produce, especially if he can shed lots of black hairs all over it…
Of course he’ll prefer your version! It’s nice to know he has a back up, though. 🙂