And Taking Flight has taken off…
Before I left for my visit to Melbourne, I ensured that Taking Flight was pressed, the backing was pieced, it was sandwiched and marked up for quilting. That way, on my return on Wednesday evening, there could be no possible excuse not to get straight on with completing this piece of loveliness.
And so it was. Despite numerous excuses, valid reasons, temptations and distractions, I completed the quilting on Thursday, stitched on the binding and made the label on Friday, and today, it was done and I could photograph it.
The quilting is a simple chevron across the quilt, breaking at the halfway point. I wanted it to echo the lovely Flying Geese blocks all the way around the outside. It also had the great virtue of being easy and fast to execute, and looks good, whilst adding a nice texture. Sorry it’s not perfectly straight in the photo; it was a windy day and I could not get a decent photo. But I’m sure you get the idea, and at least the colours are true to life.
This is the label I made. It’s different from the usual format, since Sue made the whole quilt top and the wording needed to reflect this. But I think it’s pretty self explanatory, and I’m sure that the quilt’s new owner will be delighted with it no matter what the label says! I’ll be holding it back so that I can deliver both Ovarian Cancer quilts at the same time.
There’s still a whole lot of teal ahead of me; I’m waiting for two final blocks from Gun for Can You Teal the Love, and then I can finalise the layout and start the whole sandwiching and quilting process.
In the meantime, I have one or two small projects in mind…