I scored another bargain on Black Friday.
I purchased approximately $75 worth of fabric and notions, and I paid… $15. Lots of smugness, of course, but it always pays to have a serious rootle in the remnants and offcuts bin at Spotlight. One of my bargains was a pair of 20 inch cushion panels in a pretty pale grey and yellow colour scheme by designer Jocelyn Proust.
I have a deep hatred of inserting zippers on cushion side seams. It’s unnecessarily tricky and can end up looking lumpy. The zippers always seem to eat the surrounding fabric, the cushion pad, the lining, etc. So I’ve got into the habit of putting the zipper on the back, normally covered by a tidy flap. But this was a pre-printed panel, with no spare fabric to make a flap. I had to improvise.
I inserted the zipper, overlocked the binding/facing, opened the zipper a little and sandwiched the front and back panels together. All the internal seams were overlocked; normally I line my cushion covers and bind the outside edge to finish, but having used up most of my ‘spare’ fabric to create a scrappy back for the DfG quilt, I didn’t any left in a suitable size!
And now to play with my next fabric score. Watch this space!