I’ve said it before. I have a hard time saying no.
This time, I failed to say no to my neighbour, whose daughter is having a baby shower this coming weekend. You know what’s coming, don’t you? Yup. On Tuesday last week, the neighbour stood on my doorstep and asked if I’d make her a baby quilt. For a week on Saturday. She didn’t know what she wanted, she had no fabric, I could make what I liked for the baby girl.
You’ve heard that one before too, haven’t you? We went to my cupboard and pulled anything vaguely suitable. There was one baby-friendly fabric, a pattern of sheep on a white background. The sheep were shades of pale pink, mint, grey and orange sherbet. This was our fabric story. I had suitable fat quarters of everything except the orange sherbet shade, so I asked her to buy me enough in that colour to back the quilt, make sashing strips for front and back and bind it, and I’d make the blocks out of the other colours. At this point, the plan was to make and quilt each block individually.
Oh dear. The neighbour couldn’t get to the shops until Thursday… OK, I’d start making the blocks for the front. I made six by the end of Tuesday, and sent the neighbour a photo so she could see I was getting on with it. Silence. On Thursday morning, I got a text back to say she preferred the sheep print to all the other fabrics, she was going to buy more like it, sorry to be a pain. Oh… drat. I stopped sewing. On Thursday afternoon, she arrived with a paper bag, and tipped out the contents. Oh….dratter.
We had a selection of fat quarters in bright green, bright orange, bright purple, bright pink, pale grey with tiny white spots, brown, dark purple and a navy with massive dirty pink spots. We also had 5 baby prints, one of which was totally unusable, 3 of which were mostly bright primaries, and one which was just usable with the colour scheme we already had going. No orange sherbet. I asked about the orange. Apparently the lady in the shop had told her that the amount I’d requested was far too much (she’d know best, of course), and instead, she’d chosen a selection of alternative prints. So now I had nothing for backing, binding or sashing. I think my horror showed a bit, despite my best efforts.
I looked at the bright prints, at the bright orange and green, and decided I could make a back out of them. There was the usable baby print and the pale grey. I could just about use the bright pink for binding if I made the binding narrow. Everything else would have to go back. My work had just doubled, and I’d have to quilt the bloody thing all in one piece. Oh, and I had four appointments in the next 5 days, and we were going on holiday on the Thursday before she needed it, and I still had to pack the caravan. Nose down, bum up, get stitching.
I got it done and handed it over today. The quilting is not my best, but she doesn’t know the difference. Some of the seams don’t line up. She doesn’t care. She has a double-sided quilt in double-quick time. She’s a neighbour, I wanted to help, and I only asked for enough to replace my fabric and batting, so she got it for a very good price. She petted Mouse on the way out and asked if he was going on holiday with us. He is, of course, but she said “Oh, so I don’t need to baby sit him”. Not this time, my dear, but you owe me. Big time… Mwahahaha!
I don’t actually like it much, I had a much nicer and less bland and boring version in mind. So it doesn’t get a name, and I’m not too upset about the defects that I can see so easily. Sorry about the rather dark and hurried photos. They do at least give you an idea of what I’m talking about…
So that’s why it’s been very quiet on the blog for a few days.