The outer blocks are done.
I have also frogged and recycled the first block I made, which was badly wrong, with points going the wrong way and colours mixed up. It’s right now, after loads of unpicking and a fair bit of salty language, and I defy you to discover which one in this arrangement it was. Now that the outer blocks are complete, it’s clear I don’t have a great deal of those fabrics left, so I’m pondering what would look best for the chequerboard blocks around the centre panel.
Once I have that clear in my head, I shall do some speed-piecing of those blocks, using the method that joins 8 strips along their length, the resulting piece sliced into rows perpendicular to the long seams, and then the rows re-arranged and mix and matched into squares for the best visual result.
I’m pleased with where I’ve got to so far. The contrast between muted and clean colours and splashes of white make the overall look sparkle, the lilac whirlies add visual interest, and it’s been easy to build the big blocks, after the initial
stuff up trial block.
Thanks also to Kate at Manic Mumdays, who came up with a name both the maker and the receiver love!
Now, time to rootle around in my fabric and scrap boxes for the chequerboard border.