It has been sitting on the rack under my ironing board, cut out and waiting to go, since, um… probably 6 months ago.
I got sick of picking it up off the floor every time it slid off the rack, which was often. I wanted another dress. It was a bit of a no-brainer, really. It’s a very simple pattern I’ve made before, but this time I decided to do something about the bits I didn’t like.
I don’t like facings to finish off necklines and armholes; they’re too bulky, they never lie flat and they make ironing the garment a pain because they leave a ridge. So, away with the facing! I finished the edges with narrow bias binding, stitched down with a decorative stitch on the neckline and plain topstitching for the armholes.
I also didn’t like the original armholes, which were too snug. I have very wide shoulders, and needed extra space in the back and front so the edge of the armhole doesn’t cut in when I reach across. So, deepen and widen the armholes. I wanted pockets. Every garment that hangs below the waist needs pockets. Where else are you supposed to put your hankie, phone, key, small change or whatever else it is you otherwise have to temporarily hold in your hand? So, patch pockets, not the kind that go in the side seam and make you grope for the opening and eventually tear when you put something too heavy in them. A bit more decorative stitching on the top edge there, too. I wore it yesterday, and it’s very, very comfortable, and dresses up nicely with a bit of jewellery or perhaps a cardigan when the weather gets cooler.
Now that I’ve adjusted the pattern, I’ll definitely be making it again. I wonder how it would look with a slightly more fitted bodice and a high waisted skirt gathered onto it. It may need a front opening if I do that. I also like the idea of some tiny beading for a neck detail.
Miss Rosita (my tailor’s dummy) was delighted to be put to work at last. She feels that the dress fabric sets off her red plush person very well, and agrees the armholes are more comfortable this way. I had trouble getting her to take the dress off…
I’m just pleased to have reduced my dress-making pile (only three more items to go – for now, anyway, we won’t talk about the large box full of lovely dress fabrics and unused patterns), and got myself a nice new dress into the bargain. Now, the ‘swoopy shirt’ Liberty fabric and pattern are calling my name…
And with the temperature now hovering around 27°C during the day and cooler at night, it’s perfect sleeveless dress wearing weather, and the dress’ll look good with a t-shirt underneath too 🙂