So, it’s finished.
This time, I used harder, denser card, which makes the box more rigid, but also much, much harder to cut correctly, and a bit harder to manipulate when bringing all the shapes together. The instructions tell you to label each piece of card, and I agree this is absolutely necessary, especially the top and base, and indicating which way is up on the inner side panels.
Experience does make the glueing process less sticky, and that aspect was a lot tidier than on my first attempt! The inside pockets were a lot easier the second time round too, now that I’ve equipped myself with a load of quilt binding clips to hold everything in place while the glue dries.
I’ve also found I prefer thin cotton quilt batting rather than high loft polyester for the padding; to my eyes it makes a crisper, more refined box shape whilst still offering a padded surface.
It’s not perfect; it will take a lot more goes at it to make something closer to perfect, but it is a good, functional and attractive box, and I’m keeping notes about how to refine it further next time. One note about this particular box to anyone planning to give it a try; I made the band that goes round the edge of the lid very slightly narrower than it should be; I wanted to see a 1/8″ strip of the pale yellow lining at the edge of the lid, almost like piping. Follow the instructions in the pattern if you don’t want to see this.
(In case you missed it in earlier comments and you fancy making one for yourself; Tialys has confirmed that she’s still offering a $2 discount on the pattern for this box for my followers. Just quote BOXCLEVER at the checkout when you purchase the downloadable pattern pdf.)
I’m pretty pleased with how this one turned out. And I think the Dowager will be too!