I am going slowly bonkers.
It’s the leaves, or rather, the stitching carefully around every bloody 64 of them. The first sheet is done, stitched and cut out. The second and larger sheet of leaves is in progress. Sort of.
I had to stop and do something else as it was getting to the point where I wanted to hurl it across the room every time a pin snagged my bare arm. Again. So I moved to applying the 1/4″ bias strip for the ivy stems, only to discover that it wouldn’t go round the tightest of the curves, the tendrils at the ends. Three hours and many tested options later I have the answer. Apply the strip wherever possible. Migrate from strip heat-sealed to the fabric and stitched down with zigzag to plain zig zag just a little narrower than the stripe, done really, really s l o w l y to maintain a smooth curve.
Anyway, after that, I was ready for a little light relief. Normally, pinning a quilt sandwich would not fall into this category, but the panel is only 44″ square and even though I’m pinning closely, it was done quickly and pleasantly, with minimal cursing and bloodletting.
I tried out how the leaves would look. I like it! I have everything ready to start hand quilting the central panel, but I’m going to force myself to finish the leaves first, so I don’t have to dread coming back to it later.
The clouds will be quilted with grey variegated thread, the sky and mountains with dark blue. I shall use silver thread in a spiral on the moon, and around the outer edge of the clouds and the top edge of the mountains – just a single thin line to suggest the edges are moonlit. I want a tiny bit more sparkle for the stars, so I’ll either embroider a star within each shape, or I’ll apply a single tiny sequin or glass bead in the centre of each.
Thank you all for your help with the dreaded ear worm; I have classical music in the background now, which tends not to get too stuck in my head.
Time for a quick break and then back to the leaves.