So, the top is finished.
It wasn’t the best day to try and take photos outside. We have an extreme fire warning in operation; it’s hot, hazy, and fiercely windy, it hasn’t rained for weeks, and fires are happening almost every day. I don’t look up any more when I hear the sirens on the highway. I know it’s a fire truck. Anyway, I persisted, and managed to get one decent shot out of about 18 where the wind wasn’t blowing it out horizontally. I’ve had to trim the edges by 1/8″ because the wind whipped it into a frenzy and they frayed. Another time, I’ll wait for a quieter day.
I’ve also bought the backing fabric. I looked for a pale blue wide-back with a minimal pattern, but all they had was 70s throwback bright blue tie-dye – the sales are on and ‘normal’ stock is hard to find. So I bit the bullet and bought a print in the same series as the feature prints on the front, only smaller and less in-your-face. I got a pleasant surprise when I found out it was reduced to the same price as ordinary wide-back! I’ll have to piece the back with a seam up the centre, but it’ll be worth it.
It’s a nice range: Singin’ the Blues by Jackie Studios LLC for Camelot Fabrics, and I think it may be exclusive to Spotlight. Some gorgeous rich cobalt blues and pale aqua accents. There are about 4 or 5 more prints in the range, all co-ordinating.
Tomorrow, if I get time, I’ll piece the backing and cut the batting and put it in the tumble dryer to lose some of its creases. After that, it can lie on the spare bed flattening some more till I need it.
Time to catch up with my F²F blocks for Sue, due in 5 days!