I’ve cut dozens of strips of wildly assorted fabrics in an effort to maintain randomness.
My eye wants to group fabrics by colour, scale, style, etc. I’m working so hard to make this not pretty-pretty, but bookcase-y, but I’m having to fight my own instincts! I know very well it would look wrong to put all the orange fabrics together, and group the greens, etc, but my innate sense of order tells me this is what I should do. So I’m finding the randomising process surprisingly difficult.
I’ve arrived at three or four groupings I’m OK with. Nothing fights too hard, nothing matches too carefully, and I find them believable as book-type objects. They’ll look much better once the dark background and the black ‘nameplate’ for some of the books is added – you just have to look at the ones where this is already done to see the effect. I’ve also found it’s best to make lots of spines without stitching them together too early, as I’ve had several changes of mind about the placement of the strips.
One thing I will have to do further down the track is quilt in black to outline each book. There’s a lack of contrast between some of them, and the quilting will just add a little extra visual punctuation to separate the colours and make each spine individual. So I’m thinking the backing will need to be fairly dark to accommodate black quilting, otherwise it’ll look pretty ugly.
Something I still have to organise is some orange fabric for my Penguin Classics row of books; I have nothing quite the right colour, and it won’t need much, about 20cm.
Meanwhile, I have another huge baking order for delivery on Monday, so sewing will have to take a back seat for a couple of days. Back soon!