There, and back again…

It’s getting a bit crazy round here.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.41.08 am

Cool, cloudy weather on the Atherton Tableland made for perfect motorbike riding temperatures

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.43.17 am

A great spot for smoko

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.42.31 am

Lantana and tree ferns

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.41.24 am

Morning Glory: what a colour!

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.41.51 am

Red stems and beautiful veining

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.52.26 am

Tomatoes are loving the rain

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 6.52.59 am

Rootlets on the cuttings

Firstly, we didn’t get away early on Friday as planned. This was due to a major scheduling stuff up at the Husband’s work. Instead of being home by midnight and leaving at 7am on Friday, he didn’t get home till 6am, and while I could drive the first leg and let him sleep if we’d been taking the car, this was a motorbike trip. So we reluctantly had to postpone and let the people we were meeting up there know we’d be a day late. The one small upside is that I was able to get a bit of stitching done, and I’ll post on that tomorrow.

It was a long trip up, and we were pretty tired at the end of our 10 hour journey, but it was great to be there. Sunday we got on with the scheduled swooping around the curly bends, looking at fabulous vistas, taking photos of scenery and plant life, eating lavish morning teas and tucking into lush curries in the evening. It was a good break, and good to be away, but the return trip came all too soon.

I didn’t have a good trip back. Three solid days on the back of a motorbike just got too much for the arthritic hip, and by the end of the journey we were stopping every hour so I could painfully unlock it. I’d run out of the quick acting painkillers, and a painful lesson has been learned. I can’t do a trip like that again unless I have them.

I’d let the coffee shop know we were going to be away, and that if they wanted an order of baked goods for this week, they needed to order by Thursday. Yup. You guessed it. They didn’t order till Friday, by which time we should have been on the road. It came too late in the day to buy some of the groceries I needed, so yesterday started at the crack of dawn, baking the things I had stock for, and then dashing out as soon as the supermarket opened. Still, it’s ready, even if I could have done with the day off…

On the upside, it rained here while we were away, and the tomatoes are making good progress. Something is giving the spinach a hard time, but everything else is pretty happy. The little mango tree is loving its new home, and next week, we’ll be planting the avocado next to it. And last but not least, the three Angel Trumpet cuttings I put in water last week are showing dozens of white rootlets, so I have great hopes of being able to pot them on soon.

Next week, on Monday, I start two weeks of jury service. I won’t necessarily be serving every day, but I have to be available, so I can’t plan anything for that time. The way it works is that you check online after 5.30 the day before, to see if you’ll be required the next day, so at least I’ll have some idea the night before.

I have a full schedule this morning, but this afternoon I should finally, finally be able to get back to Worldwide Friends… I have one short side halfway stitched on and the hexies for the other side are assembled and joined. Lots of ladder stitching and hemming to be done, o joy. Still, it’s good to see edges finished.

Right, must get on, I have a busy day ahead.

27 thoughts on “There, and back again…

  1. Thank you for sparing so much time and effort to bring us up to date- you are such a kind blogger! I suppose you have mixed feelings about your adventures, given all the problems, but I’m sure you have some happy memories!

    Mango and Avocado: two huge trees side by side (eventually) What a blessing, they’re both such good shade trees, not to mention the wonderful fruit.

    • katechiconi says:

      I’ll gladly do the trip again, but next time, I’ll be fully drugged to prevent the misery! And the time issue, well, it’s life, and there was no point getting worked up about it. I used the extra time to good effect!
      The mango and avocado are being planted strategically. They are between the house and the late afternoon sun, and the hope is that they will filter some of the hot bright sun that otherwise has us closing shutters and curtains on that side after about 3pm. Also, they’re both on dwarf rootstock, so they’ll never get so enormous that they’re a cyclone hazard, or I can’t pick at least the lower fruit 🙂

  2. GoodMorning Kate!
    Wow, you have had adventures!!! Carefully made plans can be “destroyed” by others not thinking ahead, right?
    I hope your hip is better now and that you’re back in your lovely garden or sewing again.
    I haven’t been able to spend time sewing as some remodeling is being done on the windows in my apartment and lots of stuff to do at work. Let’s just say I am not enjoying it! 😳 In the meanwhile I will “get my fix” reading your blog!

    • katechiconi says:

      I like long trips on the bike – Cairns is over 700km away, so even getting there is an adventure. The hip is enjoying sitting on something different – the seat on the bike is fine, but being stuck in one position all day is not good.
      At the moment, I’m doing a little embroidery for the Stitch Along, which is due on Sunday, but I’ll move on to Worldwide Friends soon, since I filled out the entry paperwork and paid the fee for the Show this morning, so now I have to get it done!

  3. EllaDee says:

    What a wonderful Atherton Tablelands pic, and glorious outlook. What a shame there were a few glitches in your plan but on the whole the trip sounded very enjoyable. And a bonus your garden was watered in your absence. Once things have slowed down, until next week at least, relax 🙂

    • katechiconi says:

      It was, and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. One day you and the G.O. will have to travel north on his bike, and then we can all four go up there and you’ll see what all the fuss is about. (Do I hear “that’ll be the day…?)

  4. tialys says:

    Ouch! Not nice to be stuck in one position when that position is painful!. Sounds like you had fun but I need to know what ‘smoko’ is.
    I was called for jury service when I still lived in the U.K. but had to turn up in the mornings – having made preparations for child and pet care etc. – only not to be picked in the end. Sounds like a good idea to be able to check online but I suppose you would still need to have some contingency plans in place for other commitments. A pain really but I suppose it has to be done.

    • katechiconi says:

      Smoko is Austrylian for elevenses. Also known as morning tea, or ciggy break > smoke > smoko. It comes from the Australian habit of abbreviating almost everything, and sticking an ‘o’ on the end of every abbreviation, even if this makes it longer than the original word…
      As for jury service, yes, it has to be done. I have no excuses…

  5. claire93 says:

    here’s hoping you don’t have to put in too much time on Jury service.

  6. The best laid plans and all that…. 😦 (or is it best made plans?!)

  7. Kirsten says:

    MIs-read ‘Angel Trumpets’ as ‘Angel Crumpets’ and got a bit excited for a second . . .

  8. have a great holiday !!! jury service ? in court ?

    • katechiconi says:

      Exactly so. In Australia, as in the UK and the USA, citizens are randomly summoned to do jury service. You can be excused if you have a good reason, but I don’t. I have to be available to serve for 2 weeks, during which time I may or may not be selected by the legal teams of either side in a new case. If selected, I have to remain for the length of the trial, even if it runs over the 2 weeks. The case may be a serious one, in the High Court, or a lesser one in the Magistrate’s Court.

      • well one one hand it could be interesting but on the other hand it could be boring or horrible but whatever it will be it will be an experience ! over here too these people are randomly chosen, I hope you can tell us about it once it is over

  9. You’re packing in quite a lot, my friend. Maybe the jury duty will even provide a bit of breathing space – ? 🙂

    • katechiconi says:

      Well, there is that… My main dread is actually falling asleep during a case. The stuff I take for pain is fairly strong and I have been known to nod off at inappropriate moments. If the case isn’t all that interesting, there’s a distinct danger! Let’s pray for something exciting.

  10. Sounds like you’ve had a little too much of a lot. I hope your jury duty is light, or at least incredibly rewarding if you have to serve. You could do with a break.

  11. katechiconi says:

    It has been a bit excessive, hasn’t it? Still, I’ve had a lovely day today, stitching away peacefully with only one interlude to nip out and take some lunch to the Husband, who couldn’t spare the time to come home, having started at 6am and finishing tonight at 8.30pm. So perhaps I’m not as unfortunate as all that…. Once WWF is delivered to the Show office, I’m taking a couple of days off before I have to start the next one, a birthday gift for mid October.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.