We’re in the home stretch now.
Komeet is trimmed, the binding is applied, I just have to hem down the back. 170″. A piece of cake, I’ll probably get it squared away tonight while I’m watching TV.
Vlucht is trimmed, the binding is cut and pressed.
Wervelwind is trimmed.
I’ve had to make 2″ binding because there was only just enough of the lilac chevron fabric left to make 2″ binding! But it works perfectly well, and is probably nicer on a small quilt. Of course, if one quilt has narrow binding, they all must, and the net result is that I end up with a little more leftover fabric than I originally thought. And the problem with that is, exactly…? Quite. I’m learning to relax about leftover fabric. Time was that I beat myself up about ‘waste’, but I’m learning fast that there’s no such thing.
Today I made a gift for a friend using scraps from 5 or 6 other quilts. And I do mean scraps: a 4″ square here, a 2.5″ strip there. The back was pieced from leftover bits of the piece I made for the roots of the Tree of Life. I bound it with a jelly roll strip which has been sitting in my stash for about 5 years without a home. It all comes round again eventually. I’m looking at my scrap boxes with a different eye these days: speculatively rather than despairingly. It would be nice if they were better organised, of course.
I think with a clear day and a good run-up, I should have all three finished tomorrow except, maybe, for labelling.