Some progress to report.
I have got all three layers of all three Triple Trouble baby quilts pinned together, ready to start quilting. I realised at the end of the second one that I was going to run out of quilting safety pins, but apart from that, it went fairly smoothly. It’s so much easier to handle the backing, batting and tops for these small quilts. I was finished a lot sooner than I thought. Just as well, really, as I was working in the covered patio, on the big table, and it was 34C/93F today. I was out of the sun, but not out of the heat, and there’d be an occasional gust of wind undoing all the careful smoothing and aligning I’d just done. Staying motivated was hard…. especially as my sewing room is air conditioned and I had the lure of other things I could be doing in a nice cool room!
Which left me with no excuse not to begin work again on the Survival Kit. I’d been putting off inserting the zipper, since it had to go in on two curves on each side, and I hate that. Straight ones? No problem. Curves are a beast. Anyhow it got done. And then I thought I might as well carry on. Heavy interfacing to reinforce the top edge and bottom of the bag. Zoom round the outside, square off the bottom corners to give a flat bottom, and voila, the thing is almost done. There’s a bit of hand finishing, and the lining to put in, but aside from that, I’m happy. To the extent that I’m actually pretending it’s finished, and here are some photos!
And then to celebrate that, I did the little applique motifs on the bibs that go with the baby quilts. I’m really pleased with these. They’re simple, cute and a nice bonus to go with the quilts.
We’re off to the Dowager’s tonight for dinner. I’d rather stay home and do some more work on the Car Quilt, but it’s a regular thing and we’re expected. I’m sure she’s going to ask how I’m getting on with her tapestry handbag…
That’s it for today. Have a good weekend, everyone.