I left you, dear readers, contemplating the vision of me crawling around on the kitchen floor…
I finally got the background taped down and straight, a pin in the centre and my string and pencil doing their thing. Once the pencil line was complete, I started pinning the bias tape down. The problem is not going to be the outside of the curve, but the inside, where rather than stretching the edge to fill the curve, I’m going to have to ease in extra fullness. I’ll just have to take it slowly and carefully, and not let my excessive impatience take over.
It’s not too hard to make the stitches nice and small and even; I’m using a fine needle and fine cotton thread, and the tape itself is quite thin and manageable. What is tricky is keeping the curve smooth, to prevent ‘flat’ sections. On a circle of that scale, it would be all too easy, and it’s the sort of thing the eye immediately picks up on. I’m becoming an increasing fan of the bias strip, which I’m fully prepared to admit is a tiny bit tragic.
I’ve had to be careful not to cause puckers by pulling the thread too tight, or draw the background fabric up too much, otherwise it’ll be baggy in places and contracted in others, which will not look at all nice. So far, so good.
So I finished this evening with the outside edge appliqued down, and the inside edge pinned, ready to do tomorrow. Only 5 metres (16ft) of stitching to go…
The moment of truth approaches. The tree, leaves, grass, birds, fruit flowers, and everything else in the circle must be drawn to scale.
I’ve got this far, I can do that too.