I pushed myself a bit yesterday and it was very late by the time I got to bed. But it meant I got the top finished, and I’m very happy with how it’s looking.
The seams are (mostly) lined up, nothing’s too obviously crooked, the colour scheme – or lack of it, if you prefer – is fun, and it came together fairly painlessly, with the exception of the magpie panel, which was my own stupid fault. A quick shopping expedition has produced fabric for the back, and I’ve bought enough of the same wideback to make the binding as well. I like a binding to be crisp and frame a quilt, and the black binding will do that.
Anyone who’s been watching the progress of this quilt will notice there are a couple of additions. Magpie feathers. I couldn’t resist the urge to scatter a few around. The contrast between the soft edges of the feathers and the crisp edges of the spot and stripe patterns was pretty, and they add an interesting graphic punctuation to the whole thing and lead your eye around.
I had fun with my transfer paper, which, now that I’m using it properly and exercising patience, is giving good results. I’ve tried a couple of brands, but the HP Inkjet version for white fabrics is the favourite so far.
Today I have to press the backing and unfold the batting and let the creases relax out of it. If there are any really stubborn ones, I find a couple of minutes in the tumble drier does the job. Once that’s done, I have to piece the large magpie panel into the back, bearing in mind that it’s going to get quilted over. I’m just going to do simple straight line quilting on the diagonal, not too closely spaced so the quilt stays very soft and drapey. I’ll probably outline the magpie and the feathers, perhaps by hand as I’m not sufficiently happy with my FMQ to do it on the machine. The diagonal quilting lines will stop short of the images so I can make them pop out a bit more.
It’s been fun so far. I’m going to get in a stew with the quilting, as I usually do, but it’s a small quilt and will be done soon.